How TikTok Holds Our Attention

Theory of Writing Assignment Forums Discussions How TikTok Holds Our Attention

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #357
    Sam
    Keymaster

Post your thoughts on “How TikTok Holds Our Attention” here.

#359
    Helen
    Participant

First of all, I would not say that I am obsessed with using TikTok until the morning hours of the day, but if that’s what an obsession truly is, then maybe I am. It’s interesting to see how the article points out aspects of the app that I have thought of, but never thought deeply about. It was incredibly informing because I just thought of TikTok as an app just like Vine. It was supposed to be just a bunch of people creating funny videos that were always original and creative at the time. The connection between its relationship with China and the Hong Kong protest is bizarre to hear about because TikTok is majorly used for entertainment purposes. As a daily user of TikTok, I can tell how the algorithm of the app had adjusted to my taste because the content has been steadily repetitive. The power behind making videos viral is almost alarming. The amount of money that can be gained from 15-second videos due to social media is just crazy. In the near future, I would like to see what other effects TikTok will have on culture.

#360
    Xiaoqin Jiang
    Participant

After I read this article, I think that TikTok is not only an entertainment, it is also about moralism because some of those videos are ironic. Also, the TikTok is very popular among modern young people because it can stimulate the imagination and creativity of many young people. TikTok is to recommend a menu based on personal preference. It brings a lot of influence to people. For example, some positive effects like turning some unknown people into celebrities and then they signing up with other companies for income, and TikTok is very interesting because sometimes, it releases some unexpected videos. However, it can be disturbing at the same time, because some videos are quite dangerous in the process of shooting and some videos are unhealthy. Even if the TikTok’s internal technology deletes bad videos, those videos will still be revealed. Therefore, I think it is the existence of pros and cons.

#361
    Anthony Liang
    Participant

I personally never used TikTok but I am aware of it’s existence due to it appearing in other forms on the internet. After reading the article, it confirms my ideas of the purpose of apps these days and it’s just to grab our attention and keep us on their apps for as long as possible. I like how the article went into depth in the algorithms that is in the app that learns what you like and what you don’t like; providing you with the content that will entertain you and keep you coming back for more. I was surprised to find out, after reading the article is that this is a source of income to some and is a job for some. The culture of TikTok is also surprising, where artists may tease a few seconds of a possible new song to see what others think about it before continuing the production of the song.

#362
    Anthony Liang
    Participant

#363
    Amy Ho
    Participant

I have never used the TikTok app before but through Instagram I see snippet of the videos made from the app. To me these videos act as time passer when I’m procrastinating, but aside from that I don’t really watch TikTok. It’s very interesting how the author talked about the different perspectives of TikTok. Tolentino used stories of different users who became famous from making TikTok videos. The stories of these people are very interesting where they talked about putting racists, ironic, and random videos to attract attention.
    Additionally, I really like how the author quoted a representative from TikTok, saying that a couple hundred people work for the company and that there are many moderators. It kind of shows how secretive the company is since the representative did not provide an exact number and also did not answer other questions. TikTok makes it really hard to know what they’re planning especially since they use advance AI to collect data from users. This is information can become dangerous because TikTok will know how to keep users entertain where the chances of them going bankrupt will be slim. Furthermore, the extent that users are going to produce videos shows that they will do crazy, dangerous, or illogical things to get more likes and become famous.

#364
    Syed Shataj Hosain
    Participant

TikTok is massively popular short videos app that is so popular in young generation. Personally I have never used this app but I have seen my friends using those app to be popular and some of them make videos out of passion. For me these videos are like my boredom reliever. In this article, the author shows how TikTok holds our attention for so long but adding many contents to it. It also gives people attention and makes them popular. TikTok is also a really good source of making money. However, in the article Talentino used a different source of people as an example who does TikTok and shared their videos on social media and became famous. Some of the videos are really not worthy and bad in content. These 15 -20 seconds videos are made of violence, hate and also, culture disobeyed. However, it’s really shocking that people get famous by using TikTok app which has both negative and positive effect of it.

#365
    REAYANUL HAQUE
    Participant

After reading this article, I get to know a lot of stuff about TikTok which I didn’t know before. But I have seen TikTok videos through the internet and in this generation, it is a very popular app. I personally never used TikTok but I saw my sister making videos in it just to entertain herself out of boredom. Most of the TikTok videos I watched had some type of story. For example, people can use TikTok in a positive way like earning money and they can be so famous overnight and turn into celebrities. They can start working with big companies. But I liked how the author went into depth about this and helping us to understand both sides of this app. Also, the author mentioned how TikTok holds our attention. I was surprised after knowing that TikTok has its own company and lots of people work there to earn money. Also, you can earn making videos on it. So it is a good source of making money. However, TikTok has bad effects too. Some of the videos are unhealthy and dangerous for us. So we should be more careful about that app because it has positive and negative sides.

#366
    Escarlen Ibadango
    Participant

Tiktok is one of the most trendy platforms at the moment. I have never used the app itself but I’ve seen small videos from Tiktok among other platforms. The new generations are using this platform as a form of entertainment, or for them to gain connections for their careers. The author explains the different ways that Tiktok as a platform helps people connect with others and improvements that it could have in the future that could become beneficial. The app itself works along an algorithm that is supposed to be based on what you like to watch. In the same way, that the more people that become involved with the app benefit the company when they are promoting it and gaining money. Tiktok is just another app from the company to gain money and test out their algorithms since they have more testing apps to make money and experiment. The content being posted on the platform could be regulated but not everyone would use the liberty to post following the regulations without looking at the negative influences they could create. Therefore, Tiktok is a platform that people use to get connections and entertainment but could do anything to achieve what they want without looking at the impact.

#367
    Arijit Saha
    Participant

After reading this article I got to know more in depth about TikTok. I personally never used this app and platform even though my friends have told me to try it out. I alway stumble upon tiktok videos on social media, it is widely popular. Usually these 15 to 20 second videos are fun to watch and I have seen people who love to make it. It is one of the easiest and fastest ways to gain popularity as it is so widely popular in every country. I could watch these videos for long period of times since there are so many varieties. Till reading this article I never realized how it always keeps me engaged to it. How it holds my attention. Now I know both sides of this app the good and bad, I never thought there could be any negative sides to it. I always thought people get famous from it and makes money, also they can act their favorite dialogues or scenes from favorite actors or movies even songs. I am now eager to see what the future of tiktok holds and what others effects its going to have on society and culture.

#368
    Ange Louis
    Participant

After reading this article I am amazed, not particularly shocked, scared, and feel like I lost a couple of brain cells. I have heard of TikTok before but I had never used it. I feel like it’s too corny and cringe for my liking. It also feels weird that me as an 18 year old is watching videos of kids who are around 12. I have also seen content that I don’t support such as boys with their shirts off and racist lip syncing meant to be taken as a joke. I’m glad that the article went into depth about the history of it because TikTok isn’t the first of its kind. The only reason why it is as popular as it is is because of its predecessors such as Vine and Musicaly. I think the whole discussion about A.I. in this app was very interesting. I particularly liked the quote about TikTok gives you images of food and then makes a menu for you based on what you like. It’s sad that people are using this app for imprisonment/racism towards a certain group. There is even something shady about how even though the influencers are promoting all this positivity, behind the scenes it is a totally different story with employees not being transparent about logistical information. I think it’s crazy that in China even the government is using apps like this for their own benefit. It is no secret that the Internet has opened up an avenue where anyone of any age can have their rise to stardom by literally posting a picture or making a 12 second video. TikTok has just added to that fact.

#369
    Crystal Yang
    Participant

I have never TikTok myself personally, but some of my friends do use TikTok. Before it was named TikTok, I remember it being called Musical.ly. It was and is still an app for lip syncing or making funny videos to certain songs. It is a social media app used for entertainment and fun, but as described in this article, an app like this can be taken the wrong way. Many people who use TikTok are teens who are underage and this makes it easy for them to be vulnerable and manipulated when posting something they won’t think twice about just to jump on the bandwagon or to follow a trend. I remember back then when this app was called Musical.ly, there would be a lot of controversy between Instagram famous teens who were underage receiving hate or backlash based off their lip syncing videos. If they were to lip sync to a popular song and it had an inappropriate and most likely racist word, the excuse of them just lip syncing it would come up, rather than actually saying the word. Most young teens on TikTok do not know the consequences when posting something, but this is also the same for any social media app.

#370
    Ahmed Iftiak
    Participant

I have never used TikTok before but I have watched TikTok videos on Facebook and Instagram. They are really funny and entertaining. The article describes TikTok really well, its growth, how its came to be, its struggle and future plans. To me the platform is more beneficial and harmful or  problematic. Its has given people a platform to show their talent like acting, singing, or hand tricks. Some people used TikTok to motivate and inspire others, spread social awareness. I also heard that is has become an income source for some people like YouTube. Recently I watched a video that showcase TikTok influence in India, people are coming out of their comfort zone and their videos grave producers and director attention. People who turn down their dream of becoming an actor or singer because they did not have the opportunity or resources to fulfill their dream. They use TikTok to gain popularity and some of them have become famous. To me it seem TikTok is a useful tool for those who know how to use it.  As the article mentions that social movement through TikTok because of its popularity. The article also mentions that the A.I used in TikTok can be manipulated and can be harmful to one’s privacy. But overall to me TikTok are same as other social media, some are known for news feed, communication, sharing, or making friends. TikTok brings new vibe in the social media platform for entertainment that made by average people.

#371
    Merla Ramos
    Participant

Tik Tok to me is another way to get distracted from reality. Since it is so easy to watch a 15-second video of someone reenacting a relatable moment in your life, you seemed to get hooked and want to watch more. I recently downloaded this app to see what the excitement was. I thought this was just going to be a trendy app that people were going to use for the time being forget about it after six months but now it has become just like Instagram or Snapchat. People in our generation use this app to poke fun at embarrassing or real moments in their life and this article shows why kids and teens are so entranced by it. I see why people use this app so much because there is a good and relatable comedy that people make. The thing this about Tik Tok that I don’t relate to is the addiction to wanting to make these videos only because I don’t think I’m capable of putting myself out there like that. Overall, Tik Tok is a wildly popular app that our generation uses for humor and expression.

#372
    Mohammed Mia
    Participant

I never used tik tok. I have seen many clips on Instagram of funny tik tok videos people make about college, relationships, and family related activities as a young teenager. This reminds me of the app “vine”. After reading the article, it is clear that both of these apps use the same algorithms to keep the vast majority of the public’s attention for some time with a slight change to the previous hot trend like vines. The videos being made have a certain time limit and keeps the public constantly viewing and going through their app to find more funny and cringe videos like the one they just saw because they can’t get enough of it.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.