Student Debt Pieces

Theory of Writing Assignment Forums Discussions Student Debt Pieces

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #405
    Sam
    Keymaster

Post your thoughts about the two student debt pieces here.

#406
    Anthony Liang
    Participant

I found The New Yorker piece to be satire as the overall purpose is to make fun of student debt and honestly, I felt I wasted some of my time reading this. I expected more from this and felt kinda let down. The New York Times piece on the other hand was interesting to read as we get to see the perspective of those affected by student debt and how it becomes a burden later on in your life. I found this piece to be more relevant to us as college students because we can learn from the mistakes made by others and make sure we don’t follow their footsteps into the life of college debt. I like the response by Alisha because what she mentioned is pretty much true; the college you go to may have some influence on if you get hired or not but after a couple years after you  graduate, it doesn’t matter as the education from both schools in reality are similar or pretty much the same.

#407
    Crystal Yang
    Participant

In the “Pay Off Your Student Debt In Three Easy Lifetimes,” article I found it very comedic in the dialogue of how a student may try their hardest to escape the fears of paying back student debts. By having the responses to the questions of one trying to procrastinate student debts, we can see that even when your life is over, your student debts are still around. This just made it more dramatic and exaggerated as to how important it is to pay them back as soon as you can. In the “Is It Still Possible To Pay For College?” article, it is a from the perspectives of a real life students that are now adults with their own lives, but one thing is stopping them from improving their lives. That is student debts. Even with good jobs that are stable, they still can’t seem to pay them back. Student debts shouldn’t still be an issue in today’s world, and it’s sad to see that those who are really passionate about their education are still being followed around by their student debts.

#408
    Amy Ho
    Participant

The article, “Is It Still Possible to Pay for College,” is very literally piece where the different quotes form a story of struggling college students to pay off their loan. I think the theme behind this article is more than just about student loan it also present the bigger issue. The issue with tuition and the emphasis on going to prestige college. I think that idea is overrated yet a lot of people fall for it. Most people believe that if they do not go to one of the the top colleges their future is ruin. This is a false belief that has been passed from one generation to the next causing so many students to be in debt for majority of their lives and somethings beyond that. My favorite quote is by Kellianne Yhip, “I chose a private school and had to work three or four jobs at a time, including trying web-camming (stripping over the internet for cash), only to feel guilty and slightly disappointed I. myself.” This shows the result of high society standards and the struggles people are going through to pay back their college loans.

The second article, “Pay Off Your Student Debt in Three Easy Lifetimes” should out to me because of the format. I really like how the author wrote this text in an informal interview. The sarcasm that is displayed in the questions and answers kind of make college loan feel like a joke. In all honesty, I feel that college tuitions should not be so expensive especially when society want a growing economy. Not one with its new workers all in debt. Eventually, the world will be filled homeless people.

#409
    Syed Shataj Hosain
    Participant

In the article,“Is It Still Possible to Pay for College” by the NewYork Times talks about life story of many students who are not able to pay off their student loans which is still a boundry for many things they want to achive. The response by Daniella E. Perry says, that she and he husband have good jobs but still they cannot afford so many things because they are still not done paying off their college.Some stereotype is that when to go to a higly rate college it will give you better degree. However, all people get the same type of degree no matter which college they went to.So, taking college dept is just an extra burden at the end of the day.

#410
    Mohammad Rahman
    Participant

The current article “Is It Still Possible to Pay for College” by the New York Times describes an issue that is faced by millions of students throughout the world. Tuition is money, and money is something that is lacked in many households. Students with low incomes are forced to take loans, and many are unable to pay it back.I have also found Daniella E. Perry statement to be interesting when she says,“Because of our student debt, we can’t afford to buy a home, move closer to work or have a baby. We have good jobs and we still can’t afford those things.” This just goes to show that even people with good jobs aren’t able to pay back the money they’ve borrowed. This a major issue and needs to be addressed ASAP.

#411
    Helen
    Participant

Since I go to a CUNY school where the tuition is not as drastic as other colleges, I’m glad to not have to worry much about tuition costs. Reading these two articles already emphasized my knowledge that student loan debt is a problem that needs to be fixed immediately. The fact that tuition costs are exponentially rising each year even though the quality of the education stays the same. After reading the two pieces of writing, one article consisting of pure dialogue stood out to me. It made me further realize the absurdness that tuition rises. When I followed that article with the three lifetime ones, it sounded even more absurd. The matter of fact is that even though it sounds like it’s too fictional or ahead of its time, the student loan debt really does follow you. Even if they’re unable to track you to your next lifetime if that’s what you believe the afterlife consists of, they already impose the debt on your family if you are unable to pay it. No matter what, the debt is paid one way or another.

#412
    Ange Louis
    Participant

In the “New York Times” article we see real people living with debt sharing their experiences. From reading the stories, I could feel the sadness of the authors. Whether it was about not being able to pay off student loans or continuously having to work to pay them off. We see how family members get involved and how debt is ruining their lives. The one story that stuck out to me was the couple that had so much student debt between them that they couldn’t have a baby or buy a house. It’s also crazy to me how even though people got the jobs they wanted and they were earning money, they still weren’t financially stable because they had so much student loans to pay off. I could personally connect with some of the stories. There was a point where I was willing to take out student loans to be able to afford the college that I wanted to go to because of the name and its reputation. However, taking into account my parents and our income going to a CUNY was the best choice financially. It feels great knowing that I go to college for free and I won’t have any debt. “The New Yorker”  article was more of comedic satire on student loans. The idea of the creation of a program to transfer your debt into the next lifetime is insane which shows how crazy student debt is. It relates back to the New York Times article where some of the writers had some they would be paying off their debts until they were 80. Both articles show that a mass amount of student loans isn’t worth it, not in this lifetime or the next one.

#413
    Escarlen Ibadango
    Participant

In the article “Is it Still Possible to Pay for College?” by The New York Times discusses different aspects of the struggles that people with college debt struggle and should of thought through before going overboard with their debt. They were looking for a better future without realizing that their debts continue beyond them and there would never be a better future when they are drowning in debt. Student loans doesn’t necessarily affect those who attend private college but those who attend community college coming from low income families. Making it have a cautionary tone on the effects that taking a loan for college when it could drag onto your next life. As The New Yorker article discusses an article that seems to pick up the aspects of it does take a lifetime to pay off your debt when the loans are going overboard. A constant thing being repeated that they are paying off in the three lifetimes. Something that you have to consider as generations that if you are paying off debts there is no saving up for your kids education.

#414
    REAYANUL HAQUE
    Participant

The article, ”Is It Still Possible to Pay For College ” by the New York Times talks about so many students who experience college loans and still, no paid it off. So many people still can’t get paid off their student loans even after getting married or being settled down. Because of the loan, some people even can’t fulfill the dream of things they want to do because they have to pay for the loan and then do other things. Reading both of the articles made me realize that this student loan issues should be loved. Some people even think that going to an overrated college would give them so kind of degree that other colleges can’t. A student named Alisha commented, “I feel bad that at 18 I had no concept of money and singed my dad on to work past retirement age by choosing Cornell, especially since I have gotten the same research and development job I have now if I would go to a less expensive state university.” This means how so many students like Alisha have gone to overrated schools which left them in student debt and they have the same job as those who went to the regular state university. This major problem need to be solved soon,

#415
    Mohammed Mia
    Participant

The New York Times Article uses a cool slideshow representation to give us a wide variety of experiences that students our age from all around the world have had with college debt. The majority of them are young teens starting off in college and don’t know any better than wanting to go away for college to get away from their parents. But after reading the New York time’s article, it seems as though many all around the world have finally come to their senses.

Then, in the article from the New Yorker, I found a lot of hidden humor within the question and answers. It was more of a colloquial article to please the teens. Many teens I know don’t read any of these kinds of articles, so when they’re exposed to us in this manner, it seems rather natural. Like a conversation we can be having just in Q&A form. I found this article most interesting of the two.

#416
    Arijit Saha
    Participant

<span style=”font-weight: 400;”>In both the articles ” is it possible to pay for college” and ” pay off your student debt in three easy lifetimes” they talk about student loans and the effects of it. Both are very Interesting especially for me because I can relate to these. The first article specifically shares many personal experiences of people who are under the burden of student loans which is still not letting them have what they want to. It always comes as a boundary. There are some touching stories, Daniella E. Perry says that because of the student debt they cannot buy a home or have a baby. That is very sad makes me wonder if taking student loans are really worth it. People take student loans to pay tuition and finish studies to be successful in life and enjoy after all the hard work, but if they have to pay off the student loans all their life the purpose of getting a good degree isn’t served in my opinion. There are many families with these problems which are still hunting them down. This is a major issue which needs some type of resolving. I am going to a CUNY school and due to some problems I am having to pay for my own tuition but I am glad that it is not as much as some other schools. So I feel like I will be under the student loan burden too and something needs to be done about it. </span>

<span style=”font-weight: 400;”>  </span>

#417
    Nathaly Castillo
    Participant

The article by the new york times, “is it still possible to pay for college” reveals actual stories from people in the real world and their student debt stories. I think this makes this piece so strong since its not just one author investigating and talking about their own opinions. This allows readers to gather their own thoughts and opinions based on the stories that have been told. The stories that are revealed through these slides are so shocking however, I saw it coming. The fact that some parents have so much debt that they can not send their kids to colleges of their choice is heartbreaking. Not only to the students, but for the parents too because they don’t want that for their children. Also there are stories about students having to work several jobs and sleeping less just to pay off their debt is so upsetting because you go into college thinking that you will have a better future but at the end, you end up more miserable that ever just because of student loan debt.

This piece, “pay off your student loans in three easy lifetimes” by the new york has comedy behind it and mocks the system of students paying off their debt. It reveals the truth behind debt when they talk about how if the student passes away and is reincarnated into the next life, the debt will follow that student until it is paid off. This relates to student loan debt in real life because to take out loans, there is usually a cosigner and that cosigner pays if anything happens to student.

#418
    Tatiana Lema
    Participant

While reading through the New York Times article, “Is it still possible to pay College”, I couldn’t help but relate to how I know a few people who blindly took out loans for college leaving them with a surplus amount of debt once they get out. I myself, constantly question if I made the right choice in not choosing a top notch school and sticking to not take out loans. When reading the struggles presented in both articles, I wonder if the other generation of students applying to colleges will continue taking out loans or even go to college in general. I was surprised to see how much these loans actually affected a lifestyle to the point where a couple couldn’t even have a child without worrying about their financial position. In the second article about paying off your college debts, the author brings up and interesting statement regarding your debt, this stood out to me the most: Your debt will follow your even if you were to die and come back to life. If a loan were that big and that continuous to the point where the debt is carried on after death, I question why students are forced by social norms to believe that there is no other way but to take out loans and drown themselves with debt after debt.

#419
    Nika Medilishi
    Participant

Both of the articles show the disadvantages of student loans especially when you cannot afford it. In the New York Times article “Is it Still Possible to Pay for College?”, they show different perspectives of the people who have taken student loans. Its purpose is to make the reader aware of how dangerous it is to take out a loan you cannot afford. Most students do not realize that the loans they take out today could last their entire life, and this article shows that even if you go to a good college in order to get a good-paying job it still might not be enough to pay off the debts. However, in The New Yorker article, they portray a comedic approach to the subject. They use the dialogue as an example of what it would be like if you have a lot of debt and still do not know how to pay it off. They use humor to show the actual problem with student loans that some people might not realize. The author claims that student-loan debt is larger than life and it could take three lifetimes to pay off the debt. Which is no problem, because they’d let you do that.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.