Student Debt Pieces

Theory of Writing Assignment Forums Discussions Student Debt Pieces

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

In the first piece, is it still possible to pay for college, it talks about many experiences that students such as myself attending college have experienced. It shows the sacrifices that many people have had to make such as getting two jobs or working overnight to bringing even their own child to college. There was even one example where the parents of a student lost their house because they wanted to support their child in their college. The parents were hoping that the child’s degree could help them financial in the future with giving them more than what they had lost. Unfortunately, there was still financial money to be paid afterwards. In the New Yorker  “Pay your student debt in three easy lifetimes”, it describes paying for college in a very funny way that is easy to understand. It is basically saying that you need more than one lifetime to pay your student debt. It makes it clear in a very clever way that we can all connect to and it gets to the point straight away.

Edwin Moody
    Participant

After reading both of these articles, I was even more grateful of the situation I am in now. I was fortunate enough to receive financial aid as well as an athletic scholarship to this school which is pretty affordable to begin with. I was aware of the problems that student debt can present, but both of these pieces underlined the fact that debt can weigh a person down until old age, and even affect their children’s future. I thought both of these articles did a good job of portraying a nation-wide problem in a unique way.

salwa rahman
    Participant

People are sharing there own personal experiences when it comes to student debt in the NYT article. Some have struggled or are still struggling with paying of debt, and some have successfully paid their debt off or found alternate ways to save money while aiming to get a degree. I thought that this was insightful and reassuring, as it teaches the readers that many people struggle with the same issues. However, one may agree upon the fact that debt is something that nobody likes. No matter the situation, or if someone’s parents is paying for their tuition, nobody actually likes to have to pay so much to certain universities. I personally dont have any debt (yet), but this raised my own awareness and makes me want to better plan my future so I dont end up being lost and in debt. The other article written by the New Yorker was  insightful, while maintaining a sense of humor. When I read this, I found the references to reincarnation to be hilarious. The author was being sarcastic in this, and s/he kept a calm attitude throughout the entirety of this article.  The author used a question/answer format, which in my opinion is more fun to read since nobody has to spend time staring at one part; they can just move on to the next question(s). The author, by using humor, expressed how student debt would last us “three lifetimes”, and how it would go into our next lives if we were to be reincarnated. This piece was that of a satire, using humor to mask its seriousness.

Merla Ramos
    Participant

<p class=”p1″><span class=”s1″>I didn’t really get the New Yorker piece. It seemed like they were making fun of the new generation and that they’re complaining. This is a big issue now that the interest rates are increasing and this article is not really helping the situation. I don’t read this genre a lot because sometimes I don’t get what they are trying to say. I liked the New York Times article much better because the author seems to get the troubles that comes with having student debt in this generation. The interest rates are crazy and the author gets that. </span></p>

Ahmed Iftiak
    Participant

Reading the New York Times made me feel a little depressed and said. People did not think that they gonna end up like this when they were taking out loans for their college and end trapped under the burden of their debt. If I were in their place I would do the same thing because their no other. When you are pursuing your dream and want to go to the best of best college why money going to be a limitation. We forget about our future and make an unwise decision that not only affects us, but it also affects our parents, because they don’t want to lay wast of our dream. To me, the New Yorker article also telling the same thing in a funny tone, to reduce the effect of feeling depressed that we live in a world that makes our life miserable. there should be another way to deal with this issue. The student should have the pay that much of interest that cost us our whole life and live us no time to in enjoying our slaves. The New Yorker article addresses in a metaphoric way. To me, the three life means the different path of your life and even if you someone in your family, you have to work so hard that you become like a horse, and you will pay your like a turtle, slowly for a long time. And interest rate will make it grow if you are unable to pay the minimum payment.

Sara Sanchez
    Participant

The article “Is it Possible to Pay for College?” retold accounts of people who had taken out loans to pay their student death and how that affected their immediate family, future spouse and family, and opportunities-or rather the limit of them. Some parents retold accounts where they felt bad that they couldn’t afford the school their child initially desired to go to, though some students who were interviewed expressed appreciation for that. Many who had taken out loans & eventually got married combined their loans, which affected their ability to buy a home and/or start a family. Some graduates spoke of how they went to school or continued school to pursue their dream career only for that opportunity to be stunted due to their debt. Although there were some stories that told of graduates who easily paid off their debt, there were very few. Overall the article contributed to my already existing anxiety and slight doubt towards my future career and debt. “Pay Off Your Student Loans in Three easy Lifetimes” was taken at a more comedic stance thats meant to portray how inescapable student debt is. Although taken at a comedic stance, the underlying message is one to be taken serious. Also, because it was mentioned in the article, I wonder if there really is a way for tuition costs to stop rising and not be so expensive to begin with.

Xiaoqin Jiang
    Participant

<span style=”font-weight: 400;”>I think this article “Is It Still Possible to Pay for College?” reflects more the impact of loans on students. If students can’t pay back their loans, it will affect their lives in the future, even the next generation. So the debt increases stress to student. Some students take part-time jobs to pay their tuition, but this leads to they can’t focus on their studies because they spend a lot of time to earn money. In addition, some students’ parents even sell their houses in order to that their children can go to college. These shows that the cost of college is expensive, and students have to pay for it. I find this article is convincing because each case reflects how students deal with loans. Some people may face repayment with positive thoughts, while others may face repayment with negative attitudes. Also, I think “Pay Off Your Student Loans in Three Easy Lifetime” is an interesting conversation because its concept includes ironic, and it mainly around students must repay the loan that no matter what happens.</span>

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.